Guilford College Team,
Prior to your Go-Live on the Banner Hosting Services, we completed work to replace our existing single border routers with border router pairs at each data center. We now have two follow-up activities to perform now that that work is complete. The first activity is to bypass the single Palo Alto device and Cisco ASA pairs in each Banner Hosting environment. This will be accomplished by routing the traffic through the high-availability Palo Alto firewall pairs in the UNC Cloud environment at each data center. The traffic will then route through the F5s and the internal router in the Banner environment (Banner Classic) as it is today. The second activity is to decommission the older 2 Gb network link and fully transition to the pair of new, inter-data center 10 Gb circuits. Both activities are planned to be performed during these maintenance outages.
This will have less impact on the Guilford College Banner Hosting environment since you are fully deployed in the UNC Cloud environment. However, you will still experience a 2-hour communication-only outage due to the work that has to be done on the border routers for these activities. The fully details on the maintenance schedule are below.
We are scheduling separate maintenance windows for each data center per the schedule below.
We are scheduling a two-hour outage at MCNC from 10am - noon on Saturday, January 22, 2022. This is a communication-only outage for ECSU, FSU, NCCU, and WCU Banner hosted systems along with UNC Cloud services at MCNC.
We are scheduling a two-hour outage at the WDC from 10am - noon on Sunday, January 23, 2021. This is a communication-only outage for NCAT, UNCA, UNCP, UNCSA, WSSU, Guilford College, and UNC System Office Banner hosted systems along with UNC Cloud services at WDC.
All hosted systems, including the Banner systems, will continue to run during the maintenance period. However, they will not be accessible during the outage period. Any connections to the Banner hosting and UNC Cloud environments that were initiated before the outage period will need to be reinitiated once the maintenance is complete. We also recommend testing that any campus-based and external applications that access the Banner and UNC Cloud hosted environments.
For CFB service customers, if you have any replications that are scheduled to run during the outage window, you will need to check those replications and apply an update, if necessary. If you are uncertain of the potential impacts to your CFB replications, please let us know via email to sahosting(a)northcarolina.edu<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org> and we can verify the information with you.
As with all scheduled maintenance, we will provide communications when the outage activities are being initiated and when the outage activities are complete.
Please let us know if you have questions, concerns, or issues with these requested communication-only outage periods. A response is only required if there may be an impact to your campus based on these requested maintenance outage windows.
P.S. - As a reminder, a communication-only outage has the following impacts:
* The hosted systems will continue to run during the maintenance period. However, they will not be accessible during the outage period.
* Staff will not remain connected and will have to reinitiate any sessions that were active when connectivity is lost to the data center.
* Any remote application/service connections to the hosting environment that were initiated before the maintenance period will need to be reinitiated once the maintenance is complete, if not done automatically.
* No connections can be established/re-established until the maintenance is complete.
* No applications or services running at the data center need to be shut down. They will remain active but will be inaccessible during the maintenance window.
* Any inter-data center communications may need to be halted prior to the outage and restarted after the maintenance is complete.
* You may need to test any campus-based and external systems that access hosted services to ensure they are still communicating properly after the outage.
Ross A. Yannayon
Director of Infrastructure and Operations
UNC System Office
Division of Information Technology
910 Raleigh Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27514